Monday, March 30, 2015

Reclaimed Patio Planters

Piles of rusty tin.
Stacks of old barn boards.
Spring planting on the horizon.
All three things came together and these planters were born.

We wanted to create two different styles: a more rustic number and a chippy chic version. Together Paul and I worked through some creative brainstorming and prototyping...then perfected the idea and produced the first few. {lots of discussion and chicken scratches on cardboard go into the creative process and quite possibly a beer or two as well} 

To ensure these last for many more years, we lined them with cedar planking and sealed the exterior with poly.


Rusty corrugated tin and old barn boards make up this rustic pair. I think I would plant these guys with vibrant coleus and chartreuse potato vines---great contrast!





And here is the chippy version. I think the mix of cream stamped tin and green weathered boards are a sweet balance of reclaimed chic.

 



I love when a plan comes together, and it certainly did with this project. I'm so excited for the temps to keep climbing here so that I can get my flowers out!

Have a great week.

5 comments:

  1. How pretty! I love the combination of materials you used! Can't wait to put flowers out here, too! Hopped over from the Vintage Inspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your planter turned out really pretty. Love that stamped tin. I need to get me some flowers, but I did get my tomatoes and peppers in the ground yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous!! I love your creative use of patterned and corrugated tin. Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I cream stamped tin is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete